Notes: Most of these titles are books. I have added words for the files that resources other than books.
- "The Diverse Learner Flip Book: A User Friendly Guide for Meeting the Needs of All Students" Author(s): John Seidlitz
- "Keys to Success for English Language Learners" Author(s): Carol Carter and Sarah Lyman Kravits
Quality Educators for English Language Learners: Research, Policies,
and Practices" Author(s): Kip Téllez and Hersh C. Waxman
English Language Proficiency Standards (ELPS)
- "ELLevate: Strategies to Support English Language Learners" Author(s): Glencoe
Academy: A Framework for ELL Success, Linguistic Instructional
Alignment Guide (LIAG)" Author(s): Texas Education Agency and Region
- ELPS Resource Supplement - electronic format of additional resources in the LIAG
- "ELPS Flip Book: A User Friendly Guide for Academic Language Instruction" Author(s): John Seidlitz
- "English Language Proficiency Standards (ELPS) Toolkit" Author(s): Region 13 Education Service Center
- "Flip Into Success: ELPS at a Glance" Author(s): EL Saber Enterprises
Literacy for English Learners: High-quality Instruction Across Content
Areas" Author(s): Cynthia Brock, Diane Lapp, Rachel Salas, and
- "Balanced Literacy for English Language Learners, K-2" Author(s): Linda Chen and Eugenia Mora-Flores
- "Connecting Content and Language for English Language Learners" Author(s): Eugenia Mora-Flores
- "Explicit Instruction: Effective and Efficient Teaching" Author(s): Anita L. Archer and Charles A. Hughes
- "Helping English Language Learners Succeed" Author(s): Carmen Zuñiga Dunlap and Evelyn Marino Weisman
- "The Highly Engaged Classroom" Author(s): Robert J. Marzano, Tammy Heflebower, and Debra J. Pickering
- "Idioms and Other English Expressions", Grades 1-3 Author(s): Timothy Rasinski
- "Idioms and Other English Expressions", Grades 4-6 Author(s): Timothy Rasinski
- "Mental Models for English/Language Arts", Grades 6-12 Author(s): aha! Process, Inc.
- "Mental Models for Math", Grades 6-12 Author(s): aha! Process, Inc.
- "Mental Models for Social Studies/History", Grades 6-12 Author(s): aha! Process, Inc.
- "Starting Out Right: A Guide to Promoting Children's Reading Success: Author(s): National Research Council
- "Teaching the Core Skills of Listening & Speaking" Author(s): Erik Palmer
- "Teaching Reading & Comprehension to English Learners K-5" Author(s): Margarita Calderon
Instruction - Websites
- BrainPopESL.com - Students learn listening, speaking, reading and writing with animated movies and interactive features and teachers get to download resources that go along with the website's curriculum.
- Culturally Authentic Pictorial Lexicon - images demonstrating the true meaning of the word, making it easier for ELs to understand.
- EL Civics for ESL Students - Various resources and PowerPoints on U.S. History for ESL students
- Khan Academy - a free website that provides instructional support to all students, all grade levels, in all content areas plus Computing, Arts & Humanities, Economics & Finance, and College Test Prep
- LanguageGuide.org - helps language learners acquire the vocabulary of the physical world using an image based guide which contains up to 2,435 words. Excellent for vocabulary acquisition.
- Many Things - quizzes, word games, word puzzles, proverbs, slang expressions, and many other computer assisted language learning activities for ESL.
- Math: Interactive Glossary - you can change the language at the top right hand corner
- Social Studies Audio Glossary - click on a word and hear a brief, basic definition
- Using English - a large and growing collection of ESL tools and resources for teachers and students.
- Verb Conjugation Website - English Spanish/Español
- Voice of America's American History for ESL Learners - transcripts with recorded readings to help students improve their reading and listening skills.
- Weblinks to various Social Studies Resources - this list is suitable for Middle School and High School
- Writing - Your Dictionary - provides a list of elementary school transition words and phrases for grades 1 through middle school
- "Instructional Coaching: A Partnership Approach to Improving Instruction: Author(s): Jim Knight
- "50 Strategies for Teaching English Language Learners", 4th Edition Author(s): Adrienne L. Herrell and Michael Jordan
- "Activities for English Language Learners Across the Curriculum", Grades K-5 Author(s): Stephen A. White
- "Classroom Instruction that Works" Author(s): Robert J. Marzano, Debra J. Pickering, and Jane E. Pollock
Handbook for Classroom Instruction that Works" Author(s): Robert J.
Marzano, Jennifer S. Norford, Diane E. Paynter, Debra J. Pickering and
Barbara B. Gaddy
- "Research-Based Strategies: Narrowing the Achievement Gap for Under-Resourced Students" Author(s): Ruby K. Payne
- The Teacher Toolkit - Region 13 has a website with many tools for teachers. Categories include: Classroom Management; Opening Activities; Checks for Understanding; Partner Practice; Group Practice; Independent Practice; Reading Strategies; Games; and Closing Activities.
- "Encyclopedia of Teacher/Classroom Blackline Masters: Includes 200+ Forms for New Teachers and Veterans Too!", Grades K-6
- New Teacher Survival Guide - This site has links to many ideas for a successful start to the school year.
- "99 Ideas and Activities for Teaching English Learners with The SIOP Model" Author(s): MaryEllen Vogt & Jana Echevarría
Content Comprehensible for English Learners: The SIOP Model", 1st-4th
Editions Author(s): Jana Echevarría, MaryEllen Vogt, and Deborah J.
- "Scaffolding for English Language Learners: The
Comprehension Toolkit" (Grades 3-6) Author(s): Anne Goudvis,
Stephanie Harvey, Brad Buhrow, and Anne Upczak-Garcia
Vocabulary/Academic Language Instruction
Academic Language through Content-Area Text: Strategies to Support
English Language Learners" Author(s): Erica Bowers and Laura Keisler
for English Language Learners: Developing Academic Language Through
Inquiry-Based Instruction" Author(s): Dolores Beltran, Lilia E.
Sarmiento, Eugenia Mora-Flores
- "Teaching Vocabulary to English
Language Learners" Author(s): Michael F. Graves, Diane August, and
- "Words Their Way with English
Learners: Word Study for Phonics, Vocabulary, and Spelling"
Author(s): Lori Helman, Donald R. Bear, Shane Templeton, Marcia
Invernizzi, and Francine Johnston